The ins and outs of life as a working mom

Friday, June 6, 2008

Armpit, Wisconsin

Tee hee! Well we made it and we only saw one deer the entire ride. We are not really in Armpit but we are in Pittsville, close enough. My family lives in the dead center of the state and that is a fact that they are proud of. There is a church and a bar on every corner and the grocery store is also the bait shop is also the movie rental. Everybody has a camper parked next to the garage and for a number of weeks out every year the town turns orange. Hunting is a big part of the culture up here.

This is one of my favorite places in the entire world. Armpit, WI, Boulder, CO and anywhere in the Caribbean. When I was young I would cry so hard when I had to leave and head back home to Illinois. Truthfully, I still choke back tears as we drive back down the red gravel road on our way back to reality. This place is my safe place. Anytime I am sad or overwhelmed or I feel like I need to run away, this is where I long to come. Funny, this was once used as a threat (as in "you better shape up or I'm sending you to grandmas") some punishment.

It is just so peaceful here, so far away from the stresses of everyday life, so close to the family where I can just be me. Plus, no matter how poorly I dress, there is still someone who looks worse. I don't think I could top fanny packs, Packer green and gold and tapered jeans no matter how hard I tried!

Ah, Armpit... the best place on Earth filled with fields and deer, farmers and dirt roads. For a time I consider moving here but I quickly remember all my conveniences that I would have to leave behind. I just don't think that I could part from my Target and my DSW. It would just be too much to bear!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay Shan, you made me cry so early in the morning...Hey! we DO have target stores and even a wal-mart. Yes, it is peaceful here, thats why I love it. I could never handle the stress of your busy roads and too many people all in one place...I cherish my quiet mornings with birds singing and no traffic..Im soooo glad YOUR here tho...I love you, grammi

Penny said...

Having lived in Boulder and also an armpit out east I can also say that the two were endearing to me in different ways. Still don't want to live in either of them any more though.

Nice blog by the way!

Swistle said...

Until I got to the last paragraph, I was like, "Well, maybe you COULD move there---it sounds GREAT." But no Target?

Anonymous said...

Shanna...why is there an ad where your profile should be???gram