The ins and outs of life as a working mom

Monday, May 12, 2008

Mothers Day

Well, Mothers Day is always interesting. Sometimes it is hard to just be grateful for our families and our children and the time that we have with them. I find that it is really easy to get caught up in the mystique of the "perfect Mothers Day".

My only wish for Mothers Day was to spend time with my family and to go to the Chicago Botanic Gardens in our area. I had been looking forward to the gardens for a while, last year when we went we were able to get a ton of wonderful pictures and had a wonderful day. Well this year, we had rain. Lots of rain, so the botanic gardens were vetoed. My moms wish of a picnic and playing at Independence Grove was vetoed as well. So, the moms, whose day this is supposed to be, didn't get their wishes.

But you know what, my Mothers Day was wonderful! It really wasn't about what we did or didn't do. I just had a great time hanging out with my husband and my son. Playing and eating pancakes and Reeses peanut butter cups. Josh made us breakfast and I gave Jack a haircut. We really took our time getting showered and out the door. It was leisurely, and fun, and perfect! I know, controlling and unflexible me had a wonderful time not doing what I wanted to do!

I think that us mothers get really hung up on the idea of Mothers Day. We build it up in our heads as this day when our husbands will suddenly realize how much we mean to them and miraculously rise up and worship the ground we walk on. They will intuitively know both our wishes and our needs, and meet them all. They will come home with gifts and kisses and thank yous. The card will be perfect and not for "My loved one overseas" ;) Our children will shower us with I love yous and hugs and perfect behavior. There will be no need for nagging or cleaning up as everyone will do what is asked and the house will stay neat.

This will never happen. We will always have to tell our husbands what we want in a gift, where we want to go and what time we need to be out the door. They will still ask us what they should wear, what the kids should wear and if they really have to shower. They will watch just one more minute of the race and they will be getting around to breakfast. But you know what, it's okay. It's okay if it rains (literally or figuratively) on our parade. It is okay if we still have to pick up the toys that got dumped out but not played with. It is okay if we have to get all the ingredients and utensils out for breakfast so that all our darling husband has to do is pour the batter. Because you know what, we love them and they love us. I am so blessed to have a husband who takes an active role in raising our son, in helping around the house, in keeping me sane. Even if he takes just as active a role in making me crazy in the first place. I am so blessed to have a beautiful, smart, funny kid who tells me he loves me with a laugh when I am being weird. Who sits still for the first time while I am cutting his hair and actually has an opinion about it (for the record, he wanted it short). I am so blessed to have two families that love me and my strange habits, even if I seem to pass all of them on to my son!

Despite the rain, despite not getting my way, I had a wonderful Mothers Day. It was perfectly imperfect. And I have everything that actually matters. I can go to a garden another time, now a day with my family just having fun and hanging out, that is a Mothers Day to remember.

And to all the moms out there, no matter how imperfect your day was, remember that you do make a difference. And even if no one ever says thank you, you still have the power to change your kids' lives. Even if you also do some blackmailing along the way... Happy Mothers Day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shanna Lee, that was beautiful!!!! I,m glad you made the best of your day and took everything as it came, even the imperfections of the male humanbeing. My day was not as bad as it sounded. My blog was more of a joke then how I actually felt...Love you sweet thing.....gramma

Espresso Mom said...

Well written, Hun!! Happy Mommy's day!